Girard College is a full-scholarship boarding school that fosters the intellectual curiosity, social development, and emotional growth of academically-minded students from underserved communities. We provide every student with the opportunity and means to achieve excellence and prepare for higher education through focused academic and residential programs.
The Database Specialist is responsible for managing, supporting, and maintaining school-wide on-premises and cloud-based database systems. The incumbent will create data integrations and optimizations in academic and operational databases such as Infinite Campus, School Admin, Magnus Health, Naviance, Paycom and other systems as required. The Database Specialist The position requires a strong mix of people skills (needed to understand, refine and prioritize user needs) and technical skills (needed to configure our databases and create queries, reports, etc. that meet these requirements) . The specialist will work closely with teachers and residential and administrative employees to support innovative pedagogy and the integration of technology to improve learning outcomes. This full-time position is located on the campus from Girard College in Philadelphia, PA. The Database Specialist will report to the Director of Data Strategy and Impact and collaborate with the Director of Information Technology on database specific tasks.
Job responsibilities include:
- Serve as the primary database specialist for Infinite Campus, the institution’s student information system, ensuring data integrity across all database modules and secondary databases/services integrated; query, export, create reports and maintain integrity by importing and exporting clean and accurate data
- Develop tutorials, identify online resources, and design and deliver training workshops for faculty, staff, administrators, students, and parents
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) demonstrated through a demonstrated willingness to examine personal identity and bias and comfort in engaging in conversations about race, class and the privileges
- Engage in professional growth, self-reflection, receptivity to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- A deep commitment to Girard’s mission and alignment with Girard’s values
- Support and train all database end users, support includes custom query and report requests
- Serve as primary creator of custom reports, modules, tabs, forms and queries across multiple data systems for departments and divisions
- Engage in professional development around database capabilities (specifically, Infinite Campus SIS) and features (and how to configure them) through direct vendor training and independent research
- Ensures database health by auditing data
- Provide support for the SIS and LMS back-end and support academic leadership with course creation, scheduling, gradebook, annual calendar rollover, and other tasks as needed
- Gain knowledge of database systems and the unique requirements of different departments
- Provide institutional support for campus data systems, Infinite Campus, Magnus Health and other assignable data systems
- Develop, coordinate and execute regular synchronization of data between multiple applications via import and export or custom scripts
- Provide strategic management for efficient data flow in Girard databases
- Provide assistance with creating visualizations and dashboards in Tableau and importing dashboards into Infinite Campus; import data and visualizations from Tableau Online to Infinite Campus
- Perform other assigned duties
Education, experience and skills:
- Minimum of an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1 to 2 years of relevant work experience
- 1-2 years of experience working with an SIS, ERP or CRM
- Proficiency in MSSQL, MySQL and online forms, Excel, Tableau. Microsoft Dynamics is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with scripts, APIs and data import/export to synchronize information between applications
- Experience working within an IT or data team in a school or university is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand new technology processes and platforms
- Demonstrated work experience producing dynamic data visualizations and reports using Tableau
- Demonstrated work experience using relational databases, including writing queries in SQL and creating dynamic reports
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task, as well as prioritize work and meet deadlines
$55,000 to $65,000
COVID-19 vaccination policy:
Girard College is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and professional growth opportunities.
UPDATED MAY 2022 – Please review Girard College’s health and safety plans here to learn more about our approach to vaccination and testing and our response to COVID-19 for the 2022-23 school year. For permanent positions, Girard College roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise specified. As such, employees must be able to support the academic plan and business strategies of Girard College on site.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All Collège Girard employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How to register
Submit an application on LinkedIN https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3316839062/?capColoOverride=true
Job expires in 30 days.